Tuesday, November 20, 2007

41 and holding...

Well, here's the scoop! (Do me a favour and don't read this if you don't want to hear about bodily functions...)

I had my appointment at 2pm. We got in right on time, which is a miracle in itself. No 45 minute wait this week! Dr. couldn't quite tell if she was feeling the head or the butt, and I thought, NO, not this AGAIN. I'm still a "2" and not effaced. Baby's head hadn't dropped yet. The next step? Go to the hospital for a non-stress test and another ultrasound. If everything was good, and the baby wasn't breech again, we'd be induced...and they scheduled an induction for...tonight at 9pm!!

The plan was to go home and get our hospital bag, go to the hospital for the tests, go out for dinner in West Des Moines, and go back to the hospital for the induction. We got all our stuff together, and even though I had my bag packed and my list written, I couldn't help feeling a bit frantic as I scanned the rooms for things I may have forgotten. (Lists are good--I didn't forget anything--except my waterproof mascara.)

We got to the hospital and waited a while before they got to the tests. Apparently the baby looked pretty big in the ultrasound, so he may not have dropped because he can't fit. Hopefully that's not the reason. My fluid levels are quite high, so that may be another reason he hasn't dropped. Everything else looked fine! So it was off to dinner!

During the non-stress test, I was apparently having some contractions! I thought it was just the baby pushing really hard. I'd mentioned pressure before...well, those were contractions! We went to Macaroni Grill for dinner (officially our last meal out before baby), then to Best Buy and Target, and all the while, my contractions were getting stronger and closer together. My imagination? or Baby actually deciding labour would start without the induction?...

We went back to the hospital at about 8:30, and apparently it's a slow night--we didn't have to bump anyone from their induction.

Sooooooo.....I'm currently writing this from my hospital room, in my lovely hospital gown, attached to a fetal monitor, watching my contractions and the baby's heartrate. From 1-10, I'd say my pain is around a 2 or 3 at this point. It's actually kind of fun! Pain isn't fun, but I'm not really viewing it as pain--it really is more of a rise and fall of pressure--like waves. And I like the feeling. The contractions weren't close enough to worry about not inducing. They started me with a 1/4 of a pill (inserted), and every 3 hours, I'll get examined and be given another 1/4 pill. Early in the morning (6 or 7am), if things haven't progressed naturally, I'll be put on pitocin (sp?).

If things are going slowly tomorrow, I may blog again with an update, but you may not hear from me until after the baby's been born!

Woohoo!

5 comments:

bluemoon said...

yay!!!!!!!! Congrats on being in labour and good luck! Sending strong thoughts your way!

I'm SO excited for you! Update when you can! (or make Dave do it ;)

Have a good night Mama!

Mary

Danielle and Rodrigo 2007 said...

WOW! Good for you, I am so happy for you. My good friend Melissa Westlake, now Robertson, had a beautiful baby boy last week and ever since I've been on pins and needles for you.

Thanks for the update ---I kept checking all night...I am a teacher now, but wanted -- at one point to be a midwife...excited to hear how it all goes ;)

Good luck! Hopefully you'll get some rest tonight.

Danielle

Karmen said...

I'm SO glad I checked your blog before turning in for the night!! So exciting :)

Have a great night . . . can't wait to hear more news! I'm up in Edmonton, so any phone calls will need to be to my cell phone :)

(By the way, I'm staying with Ange Schroeder - she'll be thrilled to know the latest update!! I'll make sure I catch her in the morning before she leaves.)

Anonymous said...

wow, I'm so excited for you! I'm reading this on Wed, and I'm soo curious to what you are doing this moment?! Are you finally holding your little boy??!!
Can't wait to find out! Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

It's so exciting!!!!!!!!!
You and Baby C. are in my prayers today for a smooth delivery. I'm so glad you took the laptop to the hospital-- I'm staying tuned to this station for the rest of the day!
Love you!