I'm on a rollercoaster. Dave and I had made the decision that if the doctor would let us go pretty close to our due date, with the understanding that if the baby had turned by then, we could cancel, we'd go ahead and schedule a c-section instead of risking a version. Baby was still breech at yesterday's appointment (surprise), so we talked through the options again, and then we went ahead and scheduled the c-section. I've been doing some soul searching, and I've been coming to terms with the possibility that it might have to happen this way. After we scheduled the date yesterday, I really let myself start to relax about this. It felt surreal--imagining an exact date! I realized I could still potentially go into labour beforehand, but if not, I'd have this baby very soon. I was getting pretty excited.
The nurse called this morning, and the hospital is completely booked on that date. I felt like a carpet had been pulled out from under me. My doctor (the one who'd been with me from the beginning of all fertility treatments) was going to be able to deliver my baby. No more. They couldn't even book me another surgery date because my regular doctor has to talk to other members of the practice...and she won't be in again until FRIDAY. That's two more days to wait, not knowing. (And two more days in which time the following two days after our original date can also be booked up at the hospital!) I know it's not much different than just waiting to go into labour, but we were basically told that if I went into labour naturally, it would heighten the chances of my needing an emergency c-section.
So I've gone from devastated over not being able to have a natural birth, to coming to terms with a surgery I didn't even want in the first place, to not knowing what's going to happen around the corner.
If anyone says, "welcome to parenthood," I will kill them. (That doesn't include you, Rach. We already had this conversation!)
So we will just wait patiently (ha) until we hear from the nurse/doc on Friday.
On a cheerier note, Tracy painted my belly today...a little Halloween costume for baby-to-be. :) I have to crop the pictures a bit, but I'll post them tonight!
Wednesday, October 31, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh, poor you Jill! What a mess! I'm so sorry. I remember feeling sort of simular when I was a week late with Cohen, and they set my induction date, I got all ready to go, and the hospital called, and surprise, they were "overbooked" and told me to wait by the phone, it could take up to 2 weeks for a bed to open.
I cried and cried and cried! Amazingly, they called back later that morning with an opening (what, did they have a cancellation? I felt like I was making a hotel reservation). So, keep your fingers crossed, you never know what could happen!
No matter HOW it happens - you're going to be a mama so soon! I'm SO excited to hear the name (I've been guessing but I've got nothing definitive), and see pictures... and eventually, meet baby Camwell!
Doesn't matter HOW baby comes, baby is coming!!!!!!! Yay!!!
I can't tell you how amazing it is going to feel to hold that baby for the first time, it's the most incredible feeling in the entire world. Completely inexplicible.
I could go on for ever about this but no need! You'll be blessed with the experience in just a little while.
We love ya and are thinking of you in this amazing time!
Post a Comment