Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Maternity Fashion

I'm reading a book called "The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy" by Vicki Iovine, which was written in 1995, and although it's funny, parts of it are outdated. I get mad at the book at times (and I have a disease that prohibits me from tossing a book aside unless it's really really really bad), and I'll give it a little review when I'm finished. I just read the chapter on "Maternity Fashion", and it was, again, outdated (read: it made me mad). Some parts rang true, like the quality of fabrics in maternity clothes (for the most part)--Motherhood Maternity, though sometimes overpriced, usually has clothes that were meant to last through one pregnancy. Or in my case, one wash. They're tricky at that store, too. They have a one week return policy (exchange only, I think), and if you take any tags off, you can't return anything. Obviously this is to avoid customers buying a dress for a special occasion (say a wedding) that they will only wear once. But don't you think that if your newly-bought capris break out in a blue spotted rash after washing them, they might consider refunding your money? ...

This is not where I intended to go with this posting.

One point (of many) that I disagreed with in the book was on the lack of "chic" maternity fashions. Maybe times have finally caught up, but nowhere have I seen large tent dresses with sailor collars and lace at the cuffs. So far I have found that your style does not need to change when you get pregnant. In fact, most of the maternity clothes I have bought are nicer and more fashionable than my regular wardrobe! I give you two examples. Here are two pictures of me in the dress I wore out for our anniversary dinner on Saturday:



(The second one was taken so you can better see my belly bump!)

Maybe the photos don't do it justice, but this dress is hot! Super cleavage (which I was careful not to draw attention to in the photo!), cute pattern, light-weight, and generally very sexy, I think! (And so did Dave!) And I looked unmistakably pregnant, so yay! (And...I got it on sale for $9 at JC Penney!)

My other example is on Rachel's blog. Doesn't she look great? I'm not even going to use the words "adorable" or "cute" (which she is), because that outfit is just so stylish, it proves my point. Pregnant women no longer have to compromise their sense of style once they're knocked up.

No comments: