Tuesday, June 19, 2007

19 weeks pregnant

Writing to you from Lincoln City Public Library on the Oregon coast.

I'm now at an exciting stage in my pregnancy: having to go to the bathroom all the time. Baby is evidently using my bladder as a pillow. There have been many times in the past few days where I've gone to the bathroom, got back to the car, and had to turn around again to revisit the bathroom. Lovely! Yes, I'd heard about this; yes, I'd expected this; no, I really had no idea it would actually be this way. It's truly been the biggest shocker of this pregnancy so far.

More exciting news: I do believe I felt the baby move for the first time two days ago! I was sitting in the car, and I felt a distinctive push outwards on my belly. The next day I felt a very strong twitch that I'm pretty sure wasn't connected to indigestion. There have been a few others instances, but mainly while I was waking up or going to sleep, so it may have been my imagination. So it begins...

Belly went on its first hike yesterday. We went on a steep 6-mile hike at Cascade Head. Read two paragraphs ago...now imagine a pregnant lady on a 6-mile hike. I have scratched-up legs from clambering up a hill to visit a tree and down another hill to visit some bushes. Still, I did very well on the hike. I was a little out of breath, but that's probably from being a little out-of-shape, not from the pregnancy. I was ok after the first 15 minutes.

Belly was very concealed during the graduation ceremony on Saturday. As I walked around in my robes, and people congratulated me, it took me a minute to realize they were talking about my degree and not my belly!

Belly loves clam chowder. Especially Oregon clam chowder.

The sea air is good for belly and me. We like it here. Will update again if we make it back to the library in a few days, otherwise, I'll be home on Saturday.

2 comments:

Rachel Bardwell said...

Ahh. . . you are too funny! You will become VERY familiar with where the restrooms are, everywhere you go now (especially the CLEAN ones, but anyone will do when you have to go :).

So, was the movement a 'ping' or more of a flutter? Babies are sometimes more active when you're lying down, so if you felt it when getting up in the morning, it probably wasn't your imagination (not like I'm an expert but this is what I've heard). Congrats!!

bluemoon said...

congrats jill... on the graduation!

as for the bathroom thing... LOL! this is why i never made it to convocation at UofC. i was 39 weeks pregnant, peeing every 3 minutes, not to mention the heat wave that was breaking all sorts of records that week. convocation day was a whopping 34C. so yeah, i didn't quite make it to grad. i sat in my bedroom and bawled like a baby instead! oh, hormones, how i miss thee...

poor heidi, when she was pregnant with arwen, she had to trek down her steep and narrow stairway just to pee, and the girl has a tiny bladder to begin with! this is why she NOW has a bathroom on the second floor!

take care of yourself :)