Monday, September 03, 2007

Random acts of weirdness

I'm starting to get more comments by strangers on my pregnancy. The weirdest so far happened as I walked into a gas station the other day. A man hanging out by the counter (I can't wait for my retirement days so I can hang out at a gas station!) said, "Someone's going on a crash diet any time now!" (!) My polite response: "Not for a couple months!" The conversation then turned to the usual questions of "when?", "is this your first?" and "do you know what you're having?" (Rachel's favourite response: "Well, we're hoping for a baby.") The man and the cashier turned out to be quite nice--it was just an odd (and inappropriate?!) opening line.

Nobody has dared to touch my belly without my permission--and I haven't been asked.

In other news, I had a "milestone" prenatal appointment last week. The doctor came in and said, "29 weeks--well, you've passed a huge milestone." Me: blank look on my face, then I smiled and said, "I thought there have been lots of milestones in this pregnancy so far!" Doctor: "Well, after 28 weeks, if your baby is born prematurely, the rate of viability increases to 94%, so that's great news." Don't you just love the word "viable"? It sounds so clinical to me. You know, I'm having a baby, not a random organism.

My own milestone I've noticed: I have about 71 days until my due date, which means that if I buy things at stores like Target, I'm well within the 90 days to return them after the baby is born!

Nauburn has been much better. My doctor recommended Pepcid AC, so I've been taking one tablet before going to bed, and I've been able to sleep through the night (minus the usual bathroom breaks...er, wakes).

Baby has been twitching like crazy, and I've recently entered the stage of being able to watch my whole belly twitch and shift from side to side. Last night he must have been doing somersaults and jumping jacks in there, as the movements pervaded my dream. Everyone around me felt my belly and watched as it twitched around. I even thought, could he be in danger of getting tangled up in his umbilical cord with all this twisting? Hmmm. Who knows? Do I actually have anything to be concerned about? Anyway, I love watching him move around. He has a bit of a schedule. Of course, he's very active at night. But maybe that's just because he has more room to move when I'm lying down.

Good times!

Oh, I'll throw a picture in of me where I think I look particularly huge. I really don't look this big in my normal clothes. I was a bridesmaid ('matron') at my friend Tracy's wedding this weekend. Black with white circles--this dress didn't hide my belly much!


OK, one more picture that is a bit more flattering.

2 comments:

Thumbing Luxury said...

So cute Jill!!!

Karmen said...

Great picture! I love the dress :)